Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Schools out

for Clo. Yes she is back in the home education camp. I think she has got school out of her system now. All the children are free to go to school to use what it has on offer or to stay home and learn what they need as they need it. TJ and Kiki are still happy and enjoying the experience. I have been readjusting as my time is now much more focussed on Clo and her educational needs.

I originally intended to follow a school type curriculum with her, thinking it would suit her better as she has always seemed to have less natural interests than Lexy who has been autonomously educated or unschooled for sometime. Clo always seemed to need more direct input. However I have decided to go with the unschooling or autonomous method with both. Philosophically this approach suits my beliefs about children and education better. The only thing that gets me diving back to the books is fear. (what if they don't learn everything they need ?)

With Clo I will do lots of suggesting and strewing and try to pay close attention to her interests and encourage them anyway I can. She really seems to love anything music which is bad for a non musician like me but we will learn together. She loves baking and cooking together. She is interested in fashion. She likes to read and quite often has her head in a book. She is continuing with her flute lessons with the same teacher who she really likes. Both girls love basketball and they really enjoy scouting as well.

Although there isn't the range of home educating opportunities there were in England we are all getting an education in living among other cultures we would never have got at home. I do need more resources though. I will have to see what I have in storage in England and have it sent over. Maybe a shopping spree is also in order.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Good for you ~ and Clo :D Have Fun together again :D!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving having her back home and she is a much happier girl.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mum of 4 living and learning with my kids as we adjust to a new life in a sandy city in the middle east. K is my lets see what crazy thing we can do next husband.